Brooklyn Tech's Table Tennis Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My BTHSnews Article on the Table Tennis Club

+2
Ariel Chen
Andy Mai
6 posters

Go down

My BTHSnews Article on the Table Tennis Club Empty My BTHSnews Article on the Table Tennis Club

Post by Andy Mai Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:15 pm

Table Tennis is probably the most diverse sport on the planet but could possibly be one of the least popular sports in the most diverse country of America. The sport people infer to be a Chinese sport was actually invented in England. In a country where fast paced sports, such as basketball and football, dominate, it is confusing why table tennis is not popular in the United States of America. Table tennis is a quick paced sport where table tennis balls travel at velocities up to 100 km/h on a table that is only 2.74 meters long and 1.525 meters wide, that’s not your average “ping-pong”. There are also no limits to the playing ground meaning you can be as far away from the table as you like, making lobbing plays very exciting for fans.
What better place to have a club of this kind than in Brooklyn Technical High School? Brooklyn Tech’s own Table Tennis Club was introduced 3 years ago by David Zhu (Class of 2007) and ever since has grown into the most popular club in Brooklyn Tech. With over 300 members, this school year, it can be disputed as one of the biggest clubs ever to exist in Brooklyn Tech (?). The club provides a safe afterschool environment to play table tennis. All players are welcome whether they consider themselves novice or experts. The club also is dedicated to helping members improve their table tennis skills (Myself for example). Most table tennis clubs, outside, charge a fee per hour or for membership, but Brooklyn Tech’s Table Tennis Club is an alternative to paying to play.
In the club’s starting years, they seeked donations from various table tennis clubs around New York City. With table tennis tables ranging from $200, for a bad table, to thousands, for a professional table, there was no way the club could accept as many members as it has today. Table tennis clubs (whether you know they exist or not) such as NYTTF (New York Table Tennis Foundation), in Manhattan, have donated used tables to Brooklyn Tech’s Table Tennis Club. Today there are 5 tables present in the table tennis club making a good balance of members on each table. The club plans to add another new table to their inventory this year.
This year the Table Tennis Club seeks expansion into the PSAL (Public School Athletic League). Beginning last year, Brooklyn Tech has competed independently against another high school in New York City. The Table Tennis Club also plans to have a student/faculty tournament this spring so look out for that.
-Andy Mai
BTHSnews
Table Tennis Club
Club Advisor: Mr. McCollum
Club Officers:
Ariel Chen, President
Amy Ng, Vice President
Andy Mai, Secretary
Charlie Weng, Treasurer

So what do you guys think about it? You guys get the first look at it.
Edited 5:11PM 11/2/08

Last edited by Andy Mai on Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
Andy Mai
Andy Mai
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 315
Registration date : 2008-09-27

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=647998814&ref=profile

Back to top Go down

My BTHSnews Article on the Table Tennis Club Empty Re: My BTHSnews Article on the Table Tennis Club

Post by Ariel Chen Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:38 pm

New York Table Tennis Federation should be New York Table Tennis Foundation everything else seems to be fine

you write for bthsnews o,O?

Ariel Chen
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 186

Back to top Go down

My BTHSnews Article on the Table Tennis Club Empty Re: My BTHSnews Article on the Table Tennis Club

Post by Ivan Lin Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:28 pm

hmm one thing i want to ask is ping pong really going to be on the PSAL?
Ivan Lin
Ivan Lin

Male Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2008-10-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Mai Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:38 pm

Ivan Lin wrote:hmm one thing i want to ask is ping pong really going to be on the PSAL?

Of course "ping pong" will not be a PSAL sport. Table Tennis will.
I said seeks expansion. If we wanted it to be a spring sport we have to do it this week. But I feel if we can create more competition it would persuade PSAL officials better.

Ariel Chen wrote:New York Table Tennis Federation should be New York Table Tennis Foundation everything else seems to be fine

And yes I write for BTHSnews.
Andy Mai
Andy Mai
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by David Li Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:52 am

The purpose of the article is to persuade the school to join the club right?

David Li
Committed Member
Committed Member

Male Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2008-10-08

Back to top Go down

Post by RaymondWu Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:06 am

Andy Mai wrote:
Ivan Lin wrote:hmm one thing i want to ask is ping pong really going to be on the PSAL?

Of course "ping pong" will not be a PSAL sport. Table Tennis will.
I said seeks expansion. If we wanted it to be a spring sport we have to do it this week. But I feel if we can create more competition it would persuade PSAL officials better.

Ariel Chen wrote:New York Table Tennis Federation should be New York Table Tennis Foundation everything else seems to be fine

And yes I write for BTHSnews.
Woah, in spring? Thats a bit of short notice :p
RaymondWu
RaymondWu
Committed Member
Committed Member

Male Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2008-10-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Mai Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:20 am

We're going for fall.

David Li wrote:The purpose of the article is to persuade the school to join the club right?

Not exactly. We have enough members. This is just to get us out there.
Andy Mai
Andy Mai
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RaymondWu Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:25 pm

Andy Mai wrote:We're going for fall.

David Li wrote:The purpose of the article is to persuade the school to join the club right?

the problem with fall is we dont get to practice, going straight into the season
RaymondWu
RaymondWu
Committed Member
Committed Member

Male Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2008-10-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Mai Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:33 pm

RaymondWu wrote:
Andy Mai wrote:We're going for fall.

the problem with fall is we dont get to practice, going straight into the season

I think it's best because during the beginning of the school year, it's a little more laid back plus it's the only season finals don't interfere with.
Andy Mai
Andy Mai
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ariel Chen Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:55 pm

my bad. it is federation.

Ariel Chen
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 186

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Mai Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:18 pm

I'll keep that in mind. Never got this published. Going to use it next year when we go for that PSAL run.
Andy Mai
Andy Mai
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by iJacky Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:38 pm

lolz lets just hope that table tennis really does become part of PSAL so we can keep getting 1st place =)

iJacky
Committed Member
Committed Member

Male Number of posts : 272
Registration date : 2009-03-21

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=720715819&ref=p

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down