Brooklyn Tech's Table Tennis Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why doesn't table tennis get any respect?

+2
David Xiong
Ariel Chen
6 posters

Go down

Why doesn't table tennis get any respect? Empty Why doesn't table tennis get any respect?

Post by Ariel Chen Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:04 pm

Ariel Chen
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2008-09-27

Back to top Go down

Why doesn't table tennis get any respect? Empty Re: Why doesn't table tennis get any respect?

Post by David Xiong Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:21 pm

Most Americans think table tennis is just a game like pool, air hockey, etc. (I'm not trying say that pool is not a serious game) They don't know anything about it except that you need two players with paddles, a ball and a table. Most people don't realize how great and intense this sport can be. And yes... table tennis IS a sport, people!!! >:O lol
David Xiong
David Xiong
Committed Member
Committed Member

Male Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2008-10-05

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=637447901&ref=profile

Back to top Go down

Why doesn't table tennis get any respect? Empty Re: Why doesn't table tennis get any respect?

Post by Andy Mai Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:45 pm

1)We call it ping pong, same with billiards, we end up calling it pool.
2)There is too much technique required to be successful.
3)Yes as mentioned it is just a game here in these United States of America.

I simply think they are wrong. Every sport should get respect because they require lots of practice. Just because your no good at Table tennis doesn't mean you could rant it as not being a sport.
Andy Mai
Andy Mai
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 315

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=647998814&ref=profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RaymondWu Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:43 pm

Yea, not many people promoting ping pong out there. I am just glad ping pong isnt becoming baseball lol, kicked out of olympics. Atleast have competition elsewhere in the world.
RaymondWu
RaymondWu
Committed Member
Committed Member

Male Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2008-10-02

Back to top Go down

Post by cchan Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:26 pm

i agree with that first point that the guy makes on the site. because it is so easy to get started and have good rallys, ppl take the sport for granted.

for example, it is generally harder to play tennis because of the larger playin field u have than table tennis. more stamina and more accuracy is needed to play. therefore ppl are motivated to work harder to play better for tennis.

as to table tennis, ppl are less likely to try harder because it seems too easy already

cchan

Male Number of posts : 33

Back to top Go down

Post by Ariel Chen Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:02 am

Andy Mai wrote:1)We call it ping pong, same with billiards, we end up calling it pool.
2)There is too much technique required to be successful.
3)Yes as mentioned it is just a game here in these United States of America.

I simply think they are wrong. Every sport should get respect because they require lots of practice. Just because your no good at Table tennis doesn't mean you could rant it as not being a sport.

in response to your first point,
what's wrong with calling it ping pong?
i must admit at first it does sound wimpier than table tennis but they are actually inter-changeable.
i actually enjoy calling it ping pong more than table tennis. calling it table tennis makes it seem like a rip-off of tennis and although at first glance the two like similar they are actually quite different.

so yeah, ping pong for the win.

Ariel Chen
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Lin Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:54 pm

in response to your first point,
what's wrong with calling it ping pong?
i must admit at first it does sound wimpier than table tennis but they are actually inter-changeable.
i
actually enjoy calling it ping pong more than table tennis. calling it
table tennis makes it seem like a rip-off of tennis and although at
first glance the two like similar they are actually quite different.

so yeah, ping pong for the win.
i agree
Ivan Lin
Ivan Lin

Male Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2008-10-07

Back to top Go down

Post by RaymondWu Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:55 pm

lol idk whre the word ping pong came in anyway, its not even how you spell it in chinese. ping pang is how you type it
RaymondWu
RaymondWu
Committed Member
Committed Member

Male Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2008-10-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Mai Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:07 pm

Ping pong started as a brand in the very early 1900s.
Andy Mai
Andy Mai
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 315

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=647998814&ref=profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ariel Chen Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:09 pm

RaymondWu wrote:lol idk whre the word ping pong came in anyway, its not even how you spell it in chinese. ping pang is how you type it

"ping pang" is just chinese phonetics for ping pong and the ending "ang" is actually sounded out as ong in chinese, not to confuse anyone. i confuse myself when i'm reading "ping pang" too, thinking in my head "..pang as in bang..? .. ?" so yeah.. .. lets just stick to table tennis or ping pong.

here's the history behind the names along with some personal bias from greg letts. enjoy.
http://tabletennis.about.com/od/beginnersguide/f/tt_or_ping_pong.htm

Ariel Chen
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down